Thursday, September 1, 2011

Speedwork? Getting Closer...

Yesterday I did the aging veteran's version of speedwork: 8 X 400 with a 200 jog rest. I don't remember the last time I did 400's (I'd guess it was spring or summer of 2000 - I could look it up - probably will - well, wait a minute, I'll check my log - never mind).

Nonetheless it was a pretty good workout, although I had considerable energy left in the tank afterward. My goal was to run 1:45 (7 minute or roughly 5K pace - although I really had no idea where I was fitness-wise). 

All in all it was a good day, 1:43, 1:42, 1:38, 1:41, 1:38, 1:39, 1:37, 1:33 and a huge lesson learned. This workout showed me that I need to get a better handle on the "quality" side of my training and stop treating myself so gently. I seem to be stuck in the long slow distance mode and I know better. 

Time to push it!

1 comment:

  1. Wish I could string, even 4 of your speedy 400s. Maybe I could do 2 at 1:45 on a good day. Your 8 is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Closing Out A Mediocre Year

  As 2023 comes to an end, I would love to say it was a banner year. I just can't say that. For the most part, I struggled to get in any...